- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 + 1/2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 + 1/2 tsp minced ginger root
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soy sauce
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 1/4 cup cooking wine
- 1 + 1/2 cup hot chicken broth
- 1 tsp monosodium glutamate (optional)
- 3 lbs deboned dark chicken meat, cut into large chunks
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 egg
- 1 cup cornstarch
- Vegetable oil for deep−frying
- 2 cups sliced green onions
- 16 small dried hot peppers
Mix 1/2 cup cornstarch with water. Add garlic, ginger, sugar, 1/2 cup soy sauce, vinegar, wine, chicken broth and MSG (if desired). Stir until sugar dissolves. Refrigerate until needed.
In separate bowl, mix chicken, 1/4 cup soy sauce and white pepper. Stir in egg. Add 1 cup cornstarch and mix until chicken pieces are coated evenly. Add cup of vegetable oil to help separate chicken pieces.
Divide chicken into small quantities and deep−fry at 350 degrees until crispy. Drain on paper towels. Place a small amount of oil in wok and heat until wok is hot. Add onions and peppers and stir−fry briefly. Stir sauce and add to wok. Place chicken in sauce and cook until sauce thickens.